Printed . This content is updated regularly, please refer back to https://bcfsa.ca to ensure that you are relying on the most up-to-date resources.
Select the section you’d like to navigate to.
In order to protect consumers, BCFSA requires licence applicants to submit a copy of a piece of valid, government-issued photo identification along with their application for licensing.
Submission of photo identification is mandatory for first-time applicants, as well as relicensing and reinstatement applicants who have been unlicensed for more than 90 days.
This requirement provides assurance to consumers that they are not at risk in their dealings with a real estate professional.
In order to protect consumers, BCFSA requires the following applicants to submit a copy of a piece of valid government-issued photo identification with their licensing application:
- First-time licence applicants.
- Re-licence applicants (those who have been unlicensed for more than 90 days after licence expiry).
- Reinstatement licence applicants (those who have been unlicensed for more than 90 days within a licence period).
- Director/officer or partner applicants who are not currently licensed or who have not been licensed or registered as a director/officer or partner under the Real Estate Services Act in the last 90 days.
BCFSA may require a piece of government-issued photo identification from any licence applicant when BCFSA deems it appropriate.
The photo identification that you provide must:
- Have been issued by a provincial or territorial government of Canada, by the Government of Canada, or by another state or federal government;
- Be valid (not expired) at the time it is provided; or
- If the photo identification does not have an expiry date, must have been issued within the last 5 years; and
- Must contain your full legal name.
Please ensure that your full legal name on the photo identification exactly matches the full legal name provided on your criminal record check and on the application form you submit.
Acceptable forms of identification include your:
- Motor Vehicle Driver’s Licence;
- Nexus Card;
- Canadian Citizenship Certificate Card;
- Permanent Resident Card; or
- Certificate of Indian Status Card.
The copy of the photo identification you submit with your application must be clear and legible.
If you wish to provide a form of photo identification that is not listed above, please email [email protected] to submit a request. The use of other forms of identification must be pre-approved by BCFSA.
You must attach a copy of your valid government-issued photo identification in the requirements section of your application submission in IRIS.
BCFSA recommends that you submit a colour photocopy of your valid government-issued photo identification.
BCFSA will accept grayscale photocopies, as long as they are clear and meet BCFSA’s requirements for valid, government-issued photo identification.